As requested, Zeb.
To be honest I can’t remember if I made up the first starter or just used my regular active rye starter at 100% hydration.
Strong White 218g 29%
Rye 533g 71%
Water 638g 85%
Starter 135g 18%
Salt 23g 3%
Strong White 8g
W/meal Wheat 8g
I pretty much followed LeadDog’s method. Like I said I don’t have a thermometer here (although I am now the proud owner of a French oven thermometer) so I judged 46C as water I could put my hand in but wouldn’t leave it there for five minutes.
I used T130 rye – which was too fine for my liking – and T65 Farine de Froment (bread flour).
The amounts are exact amounts from my calculator – I mix more starter than it tells me to because some of it always mysteriously melts away in the night.
So I mixed the warm water into the starter and then mixed in the rye. Let it stand for 75 minutes.
Then I mixed in the wheat and the salt. LeadDog says to develop the gluten but I just stirred it a bit with a soup spoon. It makes a pretty horrible sticky mess. Let this stand for another 75 minutes.
Then, using plenty of flour, I shaped it into a boule in the conventional way and popped it into a proving basket for 2 hours.
I lied to you before – my cheap, tinny baking sheet was yet to arrive and I was forced to bake it in the grill pan which slots into the grooves of my tin box oven.
I had the temperature setting on 240C but I don’t believe that for a minute (now I have my thermometer I can test it) and baked it (unslashed) for a hour then turned the oven off and let the bread cool with the oven door slightly open.
When it was cold it went in a poly bag over night. In the morning the crust was still crisp. I kept it stored in the bag and the crust became traditionally soft.
I baked it on Thursday and we finally finished it Tuesday evening. It would have kept for some days longer if we hadn’t eaten it all. Flavour continued to develop. Fantastic bread. Thank you LeadDog.